Friday, January 30, 2015

This is Awesome!





The reason I haven't posted student work for a few days is because I was busy preparing a pitch to present last night for an AWESOME foundation grant. Three projects were chosen to pitch their ideas last night at the Next Door Cafe in Lincoln Park.

Deborah Davis, Wentworth Elementary Art Teacher, came along with me. She spoke about the students she teaches in the West Englewood neighborhood. My idea was to work with her to create a publication for Wentworth students about the issue of violence in their neighborhood. Students would submit artwork and writing about how violence has impacted their lives and what they can do to help their community.

Even though I'm terrible at speaking publicly, we won the grant! Special thanks to Deborah for her wonderful words, and for the student work she brought me, which I turned into a powerful slideshow (above—I apologize if blurry) to play while she spoke. What you see and read in the slideshow was from one first grade class that she teaches. Their stories and pictures are shocking and sad.

Today, I'm thinking about focusing more on the positive for this book and less on the violence in the students' lives. They need more positive messages and encouragement, so I'm thinking the book might focus more on their hopes, dreams and goals. Deborah and I will be collaborating to get this done by the end of the school year. We're both very excited for the opportunity, thanks to the AWESOME foundation!



























No comments:

Post a Comment