Friday, February 6, 2015

Review/Interviews: The American Library Association's Annual Midwinter Conference


The American Library Association’s annual midwinter conference was alluring from the start. 
But after meeting and interviewing amazing authors such as Kari Kampakis, Lisa T Bergren, and Sally M. Walker
I’m convinced that the convention is made from magic. Unknown and undefined magic, because it was absolutely 
beautiful, and I’m sure I will never forget my experience there. Everything flowed so easily, getting from the booths 
to the food was simple. Yes, there was a lot of walking, and as a person who doesn’t normally participate in any 
form of athletics for fun, I can firmly say that my legs were extremely tired once I got home. But after waking up and 
being surrounded by the largest stack of books I have ever seen, my notes full of responses from questions authors 
answered, and my memories of the full day before, the entire experience was worth it. So, on to the interviews!

A1-Sally M. Walker
A2-Kari Kampakis
A3-Lisa T Bergren

Q: What is the title and genre of your book?
A1: The title of my book is Ghost Walls, and it’s genre is nonfiction.
A2: My book’s title is 10 Ultimate Truths Girls Should Know, and I consider the genre it to be nonfiction teen.
A3: The title is Remnants: Season of Fire, and the genre is a mix of dystopian/fantasy/suspense.

Q: How important do you consider libraries to be to today’s society? Do you have any memories associated 
with them?
A1: I believe that libraries are an undeniably important asset to today’s society. I remember being very young and 
going to the library three times a week, because I’d finish the books early and couldn’t wait to get another one.
A2: Libraries are a basic necessity to our lives, I don’t think that the world would be the same without them. 
My love for reading started with my love for the library at an early age.
A3: All libraries are very important to children all over the world. They provide learning and knowledge to those 
who can’t always afford it. I always was fond for libraries and how happy it made me to bring books home from them.

Q: Do you consider eBooks, graphic novels, and audiobooks to be books?
A1: Yes, I do. I actually usually listen to audiobooks a lot, because of their mobility. I can’t really focus on eBooks 
when reading them, because the screen and the text feels distracting somehow. For many, eBooks, audiobooks, 
or graphic novels are easier for them to read than the normal book. The more people who start reading, the better!
A2: I do think that they’re books, considering the fact that I usually read them as easily as any other real book. 
I usually prefer to read fiction eBooks, and nonfiction real books. 
A3: I believe that they are books, just different types of books, for different types of people. I occasionally listen/read 
them when I’m in the mood for something that I don’t usually read. 

Q: What’s your favorite genre of fiction you enjoy reading?
A1: I especially love mysteries, specifically Sherlock Holmes. Though I do love BBC’s Sherlock and CBS’s Elementary. 
A2: I just love reading women’s contemporary, because the character’s emotions feel so realistic and relatable to 
mine in many ways. 
A3: I read everything, and I don’t know how to choose! All genres have an amazing book that I’ve loved reading.

Q; Who are you favorite authors?
A1: I love JK Rowling, Suzanne Collins, and Rick Riordan. Their characters are amazing!
A2: C. S. Lewis, Patti Rallahan Henry, John Green, and Sophie Kinsella are my absolute favorites.
A3: I love John Green, Rainbow Rowell, and Leigh Bardugo. It’s so easy to get sucked into their stories.

Q: What do you like and dislike about YA?
A1: I like the new selection of ghost stories. I’m kind of tired of all the new dystopians, I feel like there’s so much more 
to this generation’s genre than just dystopian novels.
A2: I like the great new authors, such as John Green, whom I really enjoy reading. I dislike how dark they’re getting. 
There are children reading these books, and it’s important to acknowledge that.
A3: I like that YA addresses issues that people of all ages are suffering from. I dislike how often, in this genre, children 
are without a loving family to help them through their problems.

Q: What’s your favorite style of writing?
A1: I like, what I call, narrative nonfiction, which are nonfiction books that tell a story.
A2: I really love christian nonfiction, because it’s interesting to be able to connect to another person who has the same 
religion that I do.
A3: I love fast-paced, suspenseful fiction.

Q: What book are you currently reading?
A1: I’m reading Rook by Sharon Cameron.
A2: I’m almost finished with Home Is Where My People Are, by Sophie Hudson. And I’m about to start This Present
Darkness, by Frank E. Peretti.
A3: I’m reading Rose Garden, by Susanna Kearsley.

So, the ALA was great. I’d recommend that everyone sees some of the exhibits the next time they come up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment